Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
SNAP Updates - Hurricane Laura
SNAP Recipients...Important Updates for You!
SNAP Recipients Do Not Receive DSNAP and Do Not Need to Register
Automatic Replacement of 50% SNAP Benefits in 26 Parishes
All SNAP recipients in 26 parishes whose cases were certified before Aug. 27 will receive an automatic replacement of 50% of their monthly SNAP allotment due to widespread power outages caused by Hurricane Laura.
- Those automatic replacements were loaded onto recipients’ EBT cards on September 11, 2020.
- The replacement benefits are meant to cover food that had been purchased with SNAP benefits and was lost due to power outages from the storm.
- Parishes Receiving Automatic Replacements:
- Jefferson Davis
- Red River
- SNAP recipients in other parishes who lost food purchased with SNAP benefits due to a power outage of 24+ straight hours can fill out and submit a SNAP 38 form to request replacement benefits. The deadline to request replacements due to Hurricane Laura is October 8.
- All Recertifications Extended 3 Months
All SNAP recertifications (redeterminations and simplified reports) have been extended for 3 months to allow staff to focus on DSNAP and new SNAP applications. (That means, for example, if you had a redet or simplified report due in September, it will now be due in December. If you had a redet or simplified report due in October, it will now be due in January. And so on.)
- No September Interviews
September interviews for new SNAP applicants have been waived.
- Emergency allotments for September will bring families to the max for their household size.
- The supplements issued early -- on September 16.
- All Louisiana SNAP Recipients received September benefits on Tuesday, September 1.
Purchase Hot Foods with SNAP Benefits
SNAP recipients can use their benefits to purchase “hot” or prepared foods during the month of September, following a waiver approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service (FNS).