Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
BATON ROUGE - The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) announced today that four additional Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) sites will open beginning Wednesday, March 30, for certain ZIP codes in Jackson, Rapides, Red River and Sabine parishes. DSNAP site information for impacted parts of Allen, Ascension and Calcasieu parishes was released over the weekend. DSNAP benefits are for residents impacted by flooding earlier this month.
The Department urges residents to pre-register and to make plans to visit a DSNAP site during their initial appointed date, to reduce lines and wait times.
DCFS is also issuing a strong warning to residents about DSNAP benefit fraud and reminding them about the penalties and the risk of prosecution.
Residents who live in the following ZIP codes, and who do not currently receive SNAP benefits, may be eligible for DSNAP:
- Allen Parish: ZIP codes 70648, 70654, 70655, 70658, and 71463
- Ascension Parish: ZIP codes 70725, 70734, 70737, 70769, 70774, and 70778
- Calcasieu Parish: ZIP codes 70661 and 70668
- Jackson Parish: ZIP codes 71226, 71251, 71268, 71270
- Rapides Parish: ZIP codes 71301, 71302, 71303, 71360
- Red River Parish: ZIP code 71019
- Sabine Parish: ZIP codes 71429, 71449, 71486
Schedule and Locations
To minimize wait times, applicants and anyone who pre-registered for benefits should go to a DSNAP location only on one of the days indicated by the first letter of their last name. Applicants who are unable to visit a site on their designated day should go on one of the final days specified.
- Wednesday, March 30 - A-F
- Thursday, March 31 - G-N
- Friday, April 1 - O-Z
- Saturday, April 2 - A-K (applicants unable to make prior scheduled day)
- Sunday, April 3 - L-Z (applicants unable to make prior scheduled day)
The following DSNAP locations will be open Wednesday, March 30, through Sunday, April 3, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.:
- Allen Parish
- Allen Parish Civic Center, 609 Tiger Lane, Oberlin, LA 70655
- Ascension Parish
- Lamar Dixon Expo Center Gym Building, 9039 S. St. Landry Ave, Gonzales, LA 70737
- Calcasieu Parish
- VFW Hall, 2292 LA-109, Vinton, LA 70668
- Jackson Parish
- Jackson Parish Police Jury Fain Building, 320 6th St., Jonesboro, LA 71251
- Rapides Parish
- Alexandria Mega Shelter, 8125 Hwy 71 South, Alexandria, LA 71302
- Red River Parish
- Department of Children and Family Services, 5040 Cutoff Road, Coushatta, LA 71019
- Sabine Parish
- Many Fire Department, 1710 San Antonio Avenue, Many, LA 71449
Eligibility and Pre-Registration
DSNAP applicants MUST go to a specified DSNAP site to apply and receive benefits, if eligible.
Applicants may name an Authorized Representative to go to a DSNAP site on their behalf. Authorized representatives must bring with them to the DSNAP site a picture ID and the picture ID of the applicant/head of household along with a signed statement from the applicant/head of household or an adult household member authorizing them as a representative.
Accommodations will be made for the elderly and those with disabilities to reduce on-site wait times.
Regular SNAP households DO NOT need to apply for DSNAP. The program is only for residents who are not currently on the SNAP program.
To help expedite the application process, DCFS is encouraging residents in all affected areas to pre-register for DSNAP benefits. The best way to do this is online at www.dcfs.la.gov/dsnap. However, residents can also pre-register by phone at 1-888-LAHELP-U (1-888-524-3578) daily between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. Callers will select the appropriate language and then select options 3 and 3. Residents who are already pre-registered do not have to pre-register again, but they should update their information if it is not current. All pre-registrants will have to provide the following information:
- Name, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth for each household member
- Current address and parish of household
- Monthly income for each household member
- All liquid assets for each household member (cash on hand, checking, savings)
- The information will be kept securely on file and will be confidential.
Pre-registration does not guarantee benefits, but is designed to save time, minimize long waits, and prevent applicants from coming to the site only to find out that they do not have the right information needed to apply.
DCFS Reminds Residents of Penalties for Receiving Fraudulent Benefits
As with all programs, DCFS works to ensure this program and others are available for eligible applicants by aggressively protecting against fraud in benefits programs year round. Strong safeguards are in place to ensure that only eligible citizens receive DSNAP benefits, to identify those who are dishonest about their eligibility, and to pursue recoupment and/or prosecution.
If you believe that someone fraudulently received DSNAP benefits, report it online at www.dcfs.la.gov/ReportFraud or by phone at 1-888-LA-HELPU (1-888-524-3578) and select option 7.